TapRoot CSA - Week 27
Week 27 share list here
Beautiful picture of Patricia picking raspberries. Straight from the plant to the stomach is the best way!
There are frozen blueberries for the Full Monty and Fruit share members this week.
Frozen items are kept in the coolers. If you are at a self serve pick up, be sure to look on the list as we always make a note of any extras that you may be getting from the freezers.
- Bonus items in the vegetable shares this week. This is the time of abundance at the farm, and we want to share that with our members! Extras this week are a zucchini and garlic scapes.
- We are very excited to be able to offer shelled peas this year. We bought two shelling machines over the winter and they have been going full tilt to be able to supply the shares this week as well as Noggins. They don't last so long one shelled so be sure to cook them up soon!
- How to store new potatoes: New potatoes can be stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight, but because they have not been cured, they won't last as long as regular potatoes -- several days instead of several weeks.
- The garlic in the large and full monty shares is fresh, meaning that we have't cured it so it will store. I found this great article which says how to use every part of the fresh garlic, nose to tail style. Find it here.
- We picked the strawberry patch this morning and only got 2.5 flats of delicious looking berries. This is the end of our organic strawberries for this season.
- It's summer, and we understand that that means that people go on vacation. I wanted to remind you all of the options of what happens to your share if you can't pick it up. You are able to send a friend or family member to pick up for you, all they need to know is your name (and if it's a self serve location then please go over what your shares look like), otherwise the share comes back here to the farm. One back here you are able to come pick it up until the following Tuesday afternoon. Missed shares can be picked up at 451 Canard street Monday- Friday 8-5PM, or on the weekends. Please let us know if you are coming so we can be sure to be around.
Zucchini, Feta, and Spinach Fritters with Garlic Tzatziki
1 1/2 cup greek yogurt
6 cloves garlic (or your garlic scapes!)
1 small cuumber
2 tbsp dill
salt and pepper
2 medium zucchini
3 handfuls spinach
1/2 cup feta
2 green onions
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
For the full recipe click on the picture
Place the lettuce in a bath of cold water and swish it around and then spin dry before storing.
Store the lettuce in a plastic bag in the fridge. Storing the lettuce with a paper towel will often keep the lettuce from becoming soggy.
SUGAR SNAP & SNOW PEAS
Eat these peas in the pods. They are best just after they are harvested before the sugars turn into starch. They are a good source of vitamins A, C, K, and the B’s, along with being high in vegetable protein, carbohydrates, and fiber.
Snap peas need stringing, if you mind that kind of thing. Snap of the stem tip and pull downward to remove the string
Cook quickly, no more than 2 minutes. Add butter or serve plain.
Add to stir fries or chilled marinated vinaigrette style salads.
Book a camp site, camper, or our camp and come stay on the farm with your family and friends.
Feel free to come to one or all of our events over the weekend.
More information on the website under events.
Friday August 4th - 6 PM Field Walk with your TapRoot farmers
Saturday August 5th - 11 AM U-pick sweet cherries
12 PM Boxed Picnic lunch
3 PM Garlic Harvest
Sunday August 6th - 12 PM Jamaican Jerk Pig Roast
Monday August 7th - 12 PM Corn Boil
With many thanks to you all!
Justine and the TapRoot Team